Ok, so I got the first ever Recon sold in the Niskayuna, NY Target. They were unpacking the boxes in the nerf aisle and hadn't even gotten to the Recons, but I asked if they had it, and indeed it was in one of the boxes. Anyway, so the last two days I've been looking at it trying to make the somewhat mediocre ranges better. An AR removal (which was very annoying) was the first step. I noticed that the spring is not fully compressed when the gun is cocked, however. This is the fix:
Take your Recon
Get It Apart
(The E-Tape on the bolt is from my AR removal/fiasco)
Take some sort of wire, I used two conductor 24 gauge speaker wire, and wrap it around the plunger tube at the end that is furthest into the gun, the left side in the above photo. 3 times around was perfect for me. Then E-Tape it there nice and securely.
Put it back the way you found it.
To test, put the other side of the gun back on, hold everything together, and make sure it still cocks. If not, trim some wire off. Mine requires a pretty swift pull to get it to cock, but that is because the spring is at full compression.
This did improve range on my Recon, but it is hard to measure because the streamlines are floaty and do not always go their full distance. CDTS didn't work to well for me either, but I might just be an error in making them.
EDIT: BlackFox just informed me that sch. 40 3/4" thin wall PVC also works instead of the wire.